Sherm and I decided to take a little trip to visit the 
Wupatki National Monument NE of Flagstaff.

It is estimated that these tribes were living here around 800 to 900 hundred years ago.

It is kind of fun to walk around the ruins and try to imagine how they came up with a mortar to bind the rocks together into their pueblos.

The guy just past those steps on the trail walked to the top of that hilltop pueblo. I on the otherhand took a very hard fall walking backward into those same steps trying to get a better shot of the building to the right in this picture. Three days later I am still stove up from the tumble.

If you have really good eyes you can see that guy standing on the very top.

They were using this very garden plot nine hundred years ago.
Maybe not.

Speculation has it that the circle area was used for games, rituals, and dancing.

I'm still trying to figure out how they made the mortar.

I don't think they had to look far for building rocks


Sherm is getting all of the details straight

There are probably at least a half dozen different pueblos in the area.

Most are a few miles apart. We stopped here for a rest before turning around and working our way back to the bikes. Let me tell you, this getting old is getting tougher every year.

Judging from that smile I think he is glad I suggested heading back! :)

We were enjoying the variety of scenery

I think I gotta do something!!!

Oh yeah, what a relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We ended up exiting where we thought we had entered.

As it worked out I think we saw it from the most beautiful direction.

I had pulled into here twenty years ago but there was no bridge that I remember then.

During the winter and spring a pretty good flow of water comes through that crevice.


Several large Ponderosa's with a tree hugger at the bottom of each one.

On longer rides I'll take pictures of the Continental Divide. On these shorter one I just get the local divides.

We decided to spent the night in Williams which is a fun little town on Route 66, the Mother Road

Some kind of parade going on

Looks to be OSHA approved


After getting settled at the motel we made our way to some good Mexican food.


Good food, pleasant waitress, nice ambiance 

Just a short walk through town after the meal.




Time to celebrate Harvest




Leaving the motel this morning were several models of Audi's

They were each equipped with different levels of EV technology

All of the personnel were from Germany


I missed getting the next sign in the picture, but it said  "But they don't have"


As we were riding between Seligman and Hackberry there must have been five sets of these Burma Shave signs.

Sherm calls these buttercups, but they are just miniature sunflowers.


Hackberry is our final stop for a cold one.

Cold bottle of water that is!





After leaving Sherm and Pat's this morning it was a glorious start to my ride home.

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog